View From My Door

View From My Door

Sunday, May 2, 2010

First Day

First day down here and I'm still jet lagged beyond my real understanding. It will work out eventually. Anyway, I was in the office in the Embassy today and I walked down the hall and casually glanced into a big conference room.. I saw that one side of the table was occupied by Afghans, which was not surprising, but they were wearing the most incredible headwear I had ever seen. I admit my jaw dropped. It included turbans in odd colors and piled incredibly high, the flat wool pakol hats in garish colors and other hats which reminded me of Easter bonnets or maybe a Carmen Miranda movie. Anyway, by the time I got back to the office, I had convinced myself it was no big deal, everyone had probably seen this dozens of times. So I didn't say anything. Half an hour later someone else, who had been working there for over a year, walked down the hall and came sprinting back telling everyone to come take a look at the people in the crazy hats. So I had to admit I'd seen them and not told them. pretty funny. As to the work, it seems interesting but I have to admit I have little idea of what I'm really supposed to be doing. I'll start finding out this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment